Following are a collection of various TULL research papers & letters written by Gladys Forbes Richey

Presentation of these papers does not propose that they are proof or without error. Use these papers at your own risk! They are provided as a courtesy and to honor the lady that has created them in her lifelong endeavor to research the TULL surname.


My Family - Beginning with Daniel Forrest TULL

TULL Lineage - Beginning with Kyras TULLY

Summary of TULL Lineage - Beginning with Richard TULL



"My Family"

From notes taken during conversations with

Thomas E. Tull between 1945 and 1955.


Gladys Forbes Richey

Seven Willows, R.R.6, Box 251

Olney, Illinois 62450

Retyped by Roy Juch

3007 Durban Drive

Houston, TX 77043-1304

March 6, 1997

Edited by Leon Chapman

March 18, 2000

My Family


†††† Daniel Forrest Tull -††††††††††††† b. 24 Apr 1772; died 1 Jan. 1851

††††††††††† Sarah (Baugh) Tull -††††††††††††† b. 24 Jul 1781; died 24 May 1841

††††††††††† 1.†††††††† Mary Elizabeth†††††††††† b. 12 Nov 1805 - m. Benjamin W. Bruce

††††††††††† 2.†††††††† Josiah Baugh††††††††††††††††††††††† b. 15 Apr 1807 - m. Margaret Butler

††††††††††† 3.†††††††† Nancy Forrest††††††††††††††††††††††† b. 1 Jul 1809- - m Jeremiah Dunn., her cousin,

††††††††††† 4.†††††††† Milly Sheperd†††††††††††† b. 11 Jul 1811 - m. Lewis I. Dunn, her cousin

††††††††††† 5.†††††††† Jincy Rhoda†††††††††††††† b. 24 May1813 - m. John Larrimore Clawson

††††††††††† 6.†††††††† Sally Catherine††††††††† b. 17 Mar .1815- m. William Davis

††††††††††† 7.†††††††† Nathan Forrest††††††††††††††††††††† b.19 Mar .1817 - m. Rutha Barbara Walker

††††††††††† 8.†††††††† William Forrest †††††††† b. 1 Feb .1819- m. Hannah-Davis

††††††††††† 9.†††††††† Jonathan Daniel††††††† b. 14 Jun 1821- m. Anna Cain

I have the male lines carried down to about 1940, and a few generations for the females. The names and records have been taken from census data, wills, probates, deeds, various county records, marriage records, and from their tombstones, as well as from family records. I have known several of the children of the above, many having lived past the age of 90. The family has been, and is still well represented in Shelby Co., Illinois, principally in Windsor Township.

Nathan Forrest Tull was my mother's grandfather. His daughter, Rutha Jane, married George Thomas Anderson. My mother, Nancy Alberta Anderson, 1885-1976, was the second of 13 born to George and R.J. Anderson. She married Alva Ray Forbes, and I am their only child, born. Feb. 18, 1916.

I have a picture (ambrotype) of Daniel F. Tull, and group pictures of his children and many of the grandchildren.


(The following is in handwriting as follows):

Nathan Forrest Tull b.1817 m. Rutha Barbara Walker. Daughter Rutha Jane Tull m. George Thomas Anderson. Daughter Nancy Alberta Anderson 1885- 1976 m. Alva Ray Forbes. Their only child Gladys Forbes b. 18 Feb 1916 in Clinton, IL, m. Ancil Arthur Richey.


Information from Thomas E.Tull 1865-1955

Thomas E. Tull, (son of Nathan Forrest Tull & grandson of Daniel b.1772) was my grandmother's brother and be lived in Monticello, Ill. in Piatt County, but lived formerly in Shelby County. He was a brilliant man, a former teacher, and owned a hardware store in Monticello. He was a very handsome old man with a full head of silvery-white hair that lay in soft waves, and he never appeared in public without his black poplin coat, white shirt, and black string tie. He was active in civic affairs and mentally alert, right to the last when be died at age ninety in church while singing. I visited him many times in the years before his death, and he had a lively interest in his family records, and an excellent memory.

I have nearly one hundred pages of notes taken during my conversations with great-uncle Tom, of which the following information is excerpts. His information came from his memories. Unfortunately, he was not living in 1963 when his niece, Lala Tull Gaddis, died in Windsor, Illinois. In her attic her executor found her father's old funeral accounts ledger, in which he had copied the family records that were in his fatherís bible in 1849 from the records of his father, Daniel Forrest Tull, 1772-1851. Mrs. Gaddis's father was Elias Daniel Tull, 1840- Jan. 1911, the Windsor undertaker. The ledger has the area burials from 1884 to 1910, followed by the family records. The funeral ledger confirms all of the information that was told to me by great-uncle Tom. Elias D. Tull was a sick man and he died in 1911 following a stroke in 1910. No one in the family was aware that before his stroke he had copied the original family records before his brother, Jesse Walker Tull, of Washington, D.C., carried the original records away and lost them following a divorce from his wife.

Thomas E. Tull died on 5 December 1955. He walked to church on the ice and during the singing be clutched his hymnal but did not arise from his seat and he died sitting rigidly upright without a sound. This is somewhat of a Tull family characteristic. Because of age it seems that rigor mortis is instantaneous.

(Signed Gladys Richey)


"My grandfather, Daniel Forrest Tull (1772-1851) lived with my father, Nathan Forrest Tull 1817-1898, during the last years of his life, and they talked about the past. I was the last of Nathan's children to leave home, so we talked about the past.

My grandfather Daniel F. knew his grandparents with whom his parents lived when he was a boy in Stokes County, N.C. Both his father and grandfather were named Jonathan Nicholas Tull and sometimes one was called old John Nick and the other was young John Nick, but the real name was Jonathan, and sometimes in our family it was spelled Johnathan. Old Jonathan Nicholas was born in Somerset County, Maryland, and his son was born near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Old Jonathanís parents were Capt. William Tull and Elizabeth Fontin and they went to Philadelphia it the shipping business.

As I recall from reading my father's bible record, William Tull was married twice. His second wife was named Margaret but I don't think I ever heard her maiden name. By his first wife his children were Jonathan Nicholas and William. If he had children by Margaret they were not named in the bible records.

Sometime around 1740 Capt. William Tull was lost at sea in the Baltic. When, I studied geography in school I was interested in the Baltic because my father spoke of his ancestor who was lost there, somewhere near Danzig. (It is now called Gdansk in Poland, but was at one time a major port for cooperating shipping companies.) After his father died, Jonathan Nicholas went back to Somerset to see if his father had inherited anything there. He learned that his father had been disowned. He went back to Philadelphia and became a cabinetmaker, and married a woman named Elizabeth Dull who came from Germany. Their son, Jonathan Nicholas, was born in Pa. around 1745, and they came to N.C. but I don't know the date although it must have been about 1765 because young Jonathan Nicholas married Mary Margaret Forrest in Orange Co., N.C. and their son Daniel Forrest was born in Stokes."

Note: The tombstone for Daniel F. Tull gave his birth date as 24 Apr. 1768, and so did the funeral accounts ledger found in 1963, but from records of the Monrovian Church in Stokes, I learned that he was born of 24 Apr 1772, so I use the 1772 date in writing this.

"Stokes County was a settlement of German people and the principal language was German. I figure that because Elizabeth Dull came from Germany she was probably the reason why the Tulls settled in a German district.

I have heard a lot about the Forrests. In one of the histories of Shelby Co., Ill. it tells that General Nathan Bedford Forrest of the Confederate army was a playmate of the Tull children when they all lived on Duck river in Bedford Co., Tenn. My grandfather was named for his mother's people and he liked the Forrests so much that he named three of his children Forrest, my father, Nathan Forrest Tull, his brother William Forrest Tull, and a sister Nancy Forrest.

My oldest aunt was Mary Elizabeth Tull who married Benjamin Bruce. She was born in N.C. My oldest uncle was Josiah Baugh Tull, and he was born in N.C.

Uncle Joe was named for his grandfather, Josiah Hatcher Baugh who was the father of Sarah Baugh who married Daniel Forrest Tull. I had an aunt Milly Shepperd Tull who was named for her grandmother, Milly Shepperd who married Josiah Hatcher Baugh.

My aunt Milly Shepperd Tull married Lewis Dunn and she died long before I was born and he married twice later. My father raised Milly's daughter Martha Dunn. My aunt Nancy Forrest Tull married Jerry Dunn and she died long before I was born and he married two or three times later. Jerry or Jeremiah Dunn and Lewis Dunn were brothers and their mother, I think her name was Tabby, was a sister of my grandmother, Sarah Baugh Tull.

Let's see whom I have left out. There was Jincy Rhoda who married John Larry Clawson. She died in childbirth, as did aunt Nancy and aunt Milly, and Clawson married two or three times later. Uncle Joe married Margaret Butler in Tenn. Aunt Sally or Sarah Catherine married William Davis, son of Rev. Daniel Davis, the Methodist preacher on Sand Creek in Shelby County. Uncle Jonathan Daniel Tull married Anna Cain. My father, Nathan Forrest Tull, was the seventh child of Daniel and Sarah Baugh Tull.

The Forrests went to Duck river in Bedford Co., Tenn. about 1808 with my grandfather, Daniel Forrest Tull. I heard about William Forrest who was with them and was a brother of Mary Margaret Forrest who married Jonathan N. Tull, the younger. Also in the group there was a Nathan Forrest who married Nancy Baugh, sister of Sarah who married my grandfather. Nathan and Nancy Forrest were the grandparents of Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest. There were a lot of families on Sand Creek in Shelby Co., Ill. who came from Tenn. who were related to the Forrests. Some of them were the Ledbetters, Lovins, and Turrentines. Ties with the Forrests were so strong that during the Civil War money was collected in Shelby to send south to Gen. Nathan B. Forrest. There was a lot of copperhead activity in Illinois and it was very strong in Shelby Co., particularly on Sand Creek. People didn't favor slavery but many had families in the south, and economically Shelby was closer to the south than to the north. They shipped their grain by way of the Okaw (Kaskaskia) river to the Mississippi and on south because freight rates by railroad were too costly.

Most of the early Sand Creek families were Methodist, but during the war, when the Methodist Church split, the Tulls were among those who left the Methodists and joined Sand Creek Christian rather than belong to a Methodist North. Some of my uncle Joe's boys and some of uncle Jonathan's boys were drafted in the Union army and it caused a ruckus in the family. None of my older brothers were drafted, and I have heard rumors that my father arranged for medical certificates that kept them out of the army. My father was one who helped to collect money for Gen. Forrest.

Many of the Tulls had red-gold hair, not the carrot kind, but a shade that was halfway between red and gold. My hair was once that colors. We inherited this hair color from the Forrests. My father and grandfather both had red-gold hair, and so did Gen. Nathan B. Forrest, who was the same age as my uncle Jonathan Daniel Tull.

In Stokes Co. N.C., the Tulls lived where the only church and the only school was Moravian, and German was the common language. My grandfather attended the Moravian school and he learned to read and write in German, but not very well in English. He wrote his family records in German and while he lived with my father he translated his family records for my father who wrote them in his own bible. When my father died in 1898 we put all of the family records in the safe of my brother John Walker Tull, a Windsor merchant. I read those records many times, and it is one of my biggest regrets that I did not copy them, but I thought they would always be there in the safe if I wanted them. It did not occur to me that some day I would be the last of the old generation and that someone like you would be asking me a lot of questions.

My memory is pretty good but I don't remember all the dates, and by the time that I began to realize that I should have copied the records, my brother, Jesse Walker Tull of Washington, D.C., had carried off the old records. He lost them during a divorce from his wife. The family was upset over both the divorce and the loss of the family records. When my brother Jesseís body was sent back to Windsor for burial, the family did not place him in the large family plot, but way off by himself. I did have some notes that I jotted down after I learned that Jesse took the records, but when I moved from my home to this hotel, I seem to have lost my old notes.

The Tulls were all fine carpenters. They learned it from my grandfather, Daniel Tull, and he learned it from his father and grandfather, but I think mostly from his grandfather because his father was gone a lot, traveling as a trader. My grandfather made that beautiful three-sided walnut cupboard that you now have. He had a stand of walnut trees on his land on Duck River, and he made the cupboard. It is a masterpiece, put together with wooden pegs, without a single nail, and it is beautifully beveled with a fancy crown on top. He brought it to Illinois on an oxcart with the frame of the cart cut to fit two sides of the cupboard, and as you know, on the back is branded, "D. Tull l8lO Duck river, Tenn."

In it the family carried their valuables, which were not many. They also had a six-horse team and covered wagon and a few spare horses, and two cows, a bull, and a few pigs. My father was twelve years old, and his job was to herd the pigs. I know that you have never tried to drive a pig, and I do not know how my father managed it, but he did. They took the trail west from Duck river to the Natchez Trace and then north. They crossed the Ohio river down near Cairo (Ill), and it took almost all their cash to pay the ferry boatman. Then they traveled east and circled a large swamp and followed an Indian trail up the Little Wabash River to Shelby Co.

You asked why they left Stokes and why they left Duck river. My father said that his father, Daniel Tull, left Stokes because the people were too clannish. He had joined the Methodist church and it did not make him popular in Stokes. His mother died about the turn of the century in Stokes, and his father told about the fine land on Duck river in Tenn. A big bunch of people from Stokes, and some from Orange Co., N.C., went to Duck river together, and they were all Methodists. Grandfather's father young Jonathan Nicholas Tull went back to Stokes and died there shortly before grandfather came to Ill.

The reason he came to Illinois was that the large plantations on Duck river were squeezing out the little farmers, and when some circuit riding Methodist preacher told them about land being free for the taking in Illinois, and on Sand Creek, in Shelby Co., in particular, a mass meeting was held and sixteen families decided to move to Sand Creek, where they homesteaded as soon as possible. There wasn't even a land office in Shelbyville at that time and the men had to ride horseback to the old capital at Vandalia to file their claims.

There were only a few families on Sand Creek at that time, and it was the Kickapoo Indians who helped my grandfather to cut trees to build a cabin, and helped him through the first winter. About two or three years later the government removed several northern tribes of Indians and thousands and thousands of Indians followed the Okaw (Kaskaskia) river from Danville south and they camped on the bill on which the Fletcher Chapel Methodist cemetery was located later. It was very near my uncle Joe's place, but grandfather lived on upper Sand Creek about five miles east. My father said the Indians walked single file under army guards, and their weeping and wailing could be beard clear to upper Sand Creek. They were half-starved and people on Sand Creek gave them corn.

Those who camped on the cemetery hill held a Christian service and Rev. Davis from Sand Creek preached for them with an interpreter. Many were less than half Indian, but the entire removal was so horrible that people on Sand Creek wept for the sufferers.

My father wept and grown men wept because the Indians had always been their friends.

On Duck River the Creeks and Cherokees often befriended the settlers until so many white people started killing Indians in order to take over the Indians land. The land on Duck River had been willingly given to the government by the Indians, but the land that the government set apart for Indians was taken over by whites, and it caused the War of 1812. The Indians burned the homes of a lot of people who had savagely taken land from them, but they never bothered my grandfather. because he was the son of the "One-eyed Jack", the trader who was a friend of the Indians.

One-eyed Jack was what they called the younger Jonathan Nicholas Tull. When he lived in Stokes during the Revolution, the British had stolen a lot of horses in Stokes. He and a group of men went after the horses. They surprised the British in camp at a place called Hanging Rock and they defeated the British who ran for cover. But, in the British camp the men found a barrel of whiskey and they became so intoxicated that they were not aware of the return of the British who quickly defeated them with a lot of lives lost. Daniell's father lost his right eye in that skirmish and had to wear a patch for the rest of his life, so the Indians called him the "One eyed Jack".

My father knew all these things and when I was a boy in school he made history come alive for me. He didn't know his grandfather, Jonathan Nicholas Tull, who went back to Stokes before my father was born but he knew all about him from grandfather Daniel Tull. It was this kind of thing that made me decide to become a teacher, although I soon found that if I wanted to earn a living it would have to come from something other than teaching.

When I was a boy we often gathered around the fireplace of an evening and listened to my father imitate his father's German accent. He told us the 'two shous' story, and we loved it. Grandfather Daniel told his children that he "leaved N.C. because he vant his chilen to larn to stand in der own two shous and tie der own shous strings vitout being told vitch vay to tie dem." He also said that his redheaded grandfather never swore except in German. When he was angry at someone be said "Och! Du bist ein aisel." (you damned old jackass.)

The only two things of value that were brought from Tenn., as far as I know, were the three sided walnut cupboard and a sword. My father got the cupboard and when be died we sold it at auction. I wanted it, but your grandfather, George Thomas Anderson, who married my sister, Rutha Jane Tull, outbid me. I am glad that you now have it. The sword went to my uncle Jonathan Daniel and it was lost in a fire when his house burned down."

Note: Many years later some neighbor boys named Minor, dug around in the ashes from that fire, and they found the sword and it's scabbard; rusted and in bad condition. I bought the sword and scabbard from the Minors after great-uncle Tom died, and I had them silver-plated by a plating company in Decatur, Ill. and sent the hilt to Texas and had it recovered in snake-skin. It now hangs with the two pieces crossed, in my patio.

"My grandfather died before I was born. He was about eighty. My father usually went to church with him, but one day when there was a heavy snow and my father had a bad cold, grandfather went to church alone. His horse broke through the ice on Sand Creek, but both grandfather and the horse got out; but when grandfather reached church be was half-frozen. Someone brought him home wrapped in blankets in a wagon, but he took pneumonia and died.

My father was only eighty-two when he died. He tripped over a boardwalk and broke his hip. When the doctor came from Windsor he was drunk. He set the broken bone but his hands were not clean and my father took gangrene and died in agony within about three weeks. We always said that if my grandmother, Tamar Davis Walker, had still been living, she could have saved father, because she learned how to treat gangrene during the years when she lived with the Creek Indians, and no one ever heard of an Indian dying of gangrene.

Grandmother Tamar was a legend long before she died. She was born in Ohio before it was a state. When she was about ten years old her father took his family overland to join a colony organized by Aaron Burr in Mississippi. It was a terrible place and Burr was arrested for some kind of conspiracy. The Davises then headed back to Ohio with some other families. While camped along the trail my grandmother wandered out too far from camp and she was seized and carried away by Indians. The wagon train feared an Indian attack and they had to move out without finding Tamar. It was some renegade Shawnees who took her and probably intended to hold her for ransom, but a trader named Weatherford came along and bought her from the Shawnees. He was part Creek, and was known as Red Eagle, and Tamar lived with his family someplace way down south in Alabama until the War of 1812 when Andrew Jackson burned a Creek village in which Tamar was living. She and some refugees from that village (it was a fortification called Horseshoe Bend on the Tallapoosa in Alabama) were found by Elias A. Walker. He was one-quarter Cherokee, but he was in the army. (38tb Regt. East Tenn. Mtd. Volunteers, and I have his service record.)

Elias Walker sent Tamar back to East Tenn. in an empty supply wagon driven by his uncle William Davis, and after finishing his war service he went home and he and Tamar were married by Rev. Daniel Davis, son of the supply contractor. In 1829 Rev. Daniel Davis was in Shelby Co., Ill. and organized the Methodist log meeting house called Upper Sand Creek.

About 1836 my grandparents, Elias and Tamar Walker, joined his cousin Daniel Davis in Shelby, and their daughter Rutha Barbara married Nathan Forrest Tull my parents. My uncle William Forrest Tull married Hannah Davis, daughter of Rev. Daniel, and my aunt Sarah Catherine Tull married William Davis, Jr.

My grandfather, Elias Andes Walker, was part Cherokee through his grandfather John Walker, a trader who married a Cherokee, so through the Walkers we are part Cherokee. Elias A. Walker married Tamar Davis from Ohio. His parents were Elias Walker and Barbara Davis of East Tenn. who were not related to Tamar. Barbara Davises parents were William Davis and his second or third wife who was an Andes. You should talk to my cousin Lucretia Walker Schmidt. She knows more about the Walkers and Davises than I do. (I did - and it is a fantastic story.)

The way I heard it, old Willian Davis of East Tenn. (Washington and Carter Co.) had fifteen children by three wives, and in some way he was related to Jefferson Davis. The Tulls were mixed up with the Davises back in Stokes Co., N.C., but I don't know the connection. All I know is that it was said that the Tulls once bought land in Stokes from a man named Davis, then because of politics, they finally had to rent what they had bought, and later the One-eyed Jack went to Tenn. and bought some land as a promotional deal with Davis of Stokes, and it was near William Davis, but the deal went sour and One- eyed Jack sold out. It seems that the Tulls always had trouble holding onto their land until they came to Shelby Co. I don't know what was wrong, but I suspect that on the frontier most people had trouble getting a title to what they bought, at least that is what I have read in history, and it is what my grandfather spoke of, but he couldn't explain what happened.

On Sand Creek, when my father was just sixteen years old, something happened that he never forgot. The year would have been 1833 because father was sixteen. His uncle, John Nicholas Tull, came for a visit from Henderson Co., Tenn. with two of his sons, Abraham and Archibald or Archey. Not knowing that his brother Daniel had left Duck River, he went there first. His brother Abraham Tull was living there but Daniel had rented his farm to William Forrest, and the Forrests had moved on to Mississippi leaving the farm empty except for a few slaves who stayed with the land. J.N. Tull had some trouble with his sons Abe and Archey and he wanted to get them out of Henderson until things cooled down. Abe had fallen in with some promoters who held horse races and dog fights, with betting, and on Sundays. It caused trouble with both the law and the church. He tried to get his brother Abraham to keep his boys for a while. He had caught Archey making 'moon-eyes' at a slave girl. Abraham was not well and he would not take the boys, so J.N. headed for Shelby Co., Ill.

As soon as he arrived and told grandfather about the Forrests leaving, grandfather sent my uncle Joe back to Duck river to take over the family farm. Uncle Joe stayed about eight or ten years before selling out, freeing some slaves, and returning to Illinois.

At first grandfather agreed to keep Abe and Archey for a year, but he soon changed his mind. He and his brother, J. N., went to church one Sunday and made the mistake of leaving the boys at home. They found the church about half-empty and a lot of whispering going on. When they returned home they found out why. Abe and Archey and my father who was the same age as Archey, had taken some of grandfather's horses and organized a horse race, with betting. They had to confess what they had done when they returned home with one of the horses so badly wind broken that it had to be shot.

Grandfather told them that they were all 'aisels' and he told his brother to take his sons back where they came from and he would take care of his own boy. And he did. He had my father bend down over a stump, pulled his britches down, and laid on the hickory, in full view of many of the family. Worse still, it was my father's last year in school and he had to walk, regardless of weather, while the others rode horseback. My father never forgot that lesson, but he always wondered what became of his uncle Nicholas and Abe and Archey. (they went to Arkansas about 1840.)

Whippings in the family were very rare, but if any of us went too far we got the hickory. It happened to me once, and I deserved it. Your grandfather, George Anderson, and I were about the same age, and we did not like a man named (James Knox) Polk Rose who was an elder in Sand Creek Christian. He had been superintendent of schools in Moultrie County and we called him a dictator.

We took the wheels off Polk's buggy and hauled it up astride the gable of the church, and then put the wheels back on to make it harder to get the buggy down.

Someone saw us and snitched, and at the next church service the congregation held a trial and everyone voted on applying the hickory, with each father wielding it.

The entire congregation stayed to watch as we were bent over stumps, but we were whipped with our pants up, not down. I never forgot my lesson any more than my father forgot his from years before.

As far as I know there have never been any real criminal elements in the family, but I do know that the Tulls loved to play tricks on each other and on their friends. I believe that most boys tend to be pranksters, but when they are chastised properly they can learn from their mistakes. We were chastised, and it worked because we have never had any real criminals in the family.

All of the Tulls were basically farmers, but they engaged in other occupations as well. My father was in real estate and lived on the north edge of Windsor. My uncles were carpenters and blacksmiths, but also farmers. Many of my cousins and second cousins became ministers, and were Methodist's, but those who were of the Northern Methodists were viewed with disfavor, if not with contempt, by the rest.

We have talked before about my father leaving the Methodists during the Civil War and joining Sand Creek Christian. My uncles did the same but they drifted back to the Methodists after the split between North and South was no longer important, at least on Sand Creek. My father died before that happened. When he joined Sand Creek Christian he was not immersed. He said that 'sprinkling' was good enough for him, but he believed in the bible alone as a rule of faith, so he was accepted.

The Sand Creek Christians included other denominations that had first organized as Methodists under Rev. Daniel Davis. It was the only church on Sand Creek, and through the years, as the population grew, many other churches were organized, but their roots were at Sand Creek. They were very tolerant and they all shared any traveling preacher who was available and held a protracted meeting. Among the congregations there were Cumberland Presbyterians, Baptists of several kinds, Methodists, and, Christians who until the Civil War made contributions to the state organization of Disciples of Christ. During the war Sand Creek became independent because of the war issues. It was meeting in its third location, which became overcrowded when so many Methodists joined them, and the fourth church, the brick one, was built.

My father and his sons including me donated their time to build the church seats and help with other carpentry work. We also donated cash money. My father was elected by the congregation as a Trustee, and as the song leader and Sunday school superintendent.

One by one the elders and officers passed away until only one was left and he and my father disagreed. That one elder was James Knox Polk Rose, the man we boys called a dictator.

We have talked about this before, so you know what happened. Polk Rose and a former Disciples preacher from Indiana named Dan Sommers, proceeded to bring in a bunch from Bethany Christian and appointed them as the new officers for Sand Creek, without the consent of the congregation. The year was 1889 and it was the year of the sixteenth annual reunion at Sand Creek. I was twenty-four years old and I sat right there and heard it all. The newspapers estimated that at least 6,000 people met on the hill west of the church, people from everywhere who had roots at Sand Creek. Sommers preached, and when he was through old man (Peter) Warren arose and read a paper to the audience, and it was a slap in the face and an insult to almost everyone present. The congregation had never heard of what was written on that paper until it was read. It said that Sand Creek would not commune with, or even recognize anyone who practiced the innovations that were discussed in the sermon. I donít recall everything that was condemned as innovations, but some of them were: hiring a regular pastor for a set salary (Sand Creek had never done that); belonging to any central body (Sand Creek had left the central organization during the war); holding Sunday schools separate from regular services (Sand Creek had always held such); using musical instruments (none had ever been used at Sand Creek and not more than two or three could even play an organ); holding open communion, and having Missionary Societies.

My father was shocked and so were most of us. What right had one man to do something like this? There were buggies, wagons, carts, and horses scattered everywhere, in the fields and up and down the road. Can you imagine the dust that arose to the heavens when all but about fifty people got up and left, before communion.

The congregation knew nothing about the carefully planned arrangement to separate Sand Creek from all of its friends, and when a business meeting was called they were slapped down again. Rose and his personally appointed officers took over the business meeting and brought in a preacher from outside, and they were told that if anyone had any objections to what the elders had done, they must stand up and quote a verse from the New Testament that proved the elders were wrong, and then they gaveled the meeting to a close.

No one wanted a fist fight.

From that day on not one Preacher who had been called to Sand Creek before was called back. The appointed elders brought in men of their own choice, and they began to call Sand Creek a Church of Christ. The Old Testament was abandoned; hymnals were burned; all decisions by the elders were made at Bethany church and announced at Sand Creek afterward. The congregation was told that they must follow the rule of the elders, and voices were silenced because many were afraid of Polk Rose. He was township supervisor and on the Board of Review that set tax rates, and he was also head of the court that decided matters about widows and orphans. People were poor and needed money they could earn by working on the county roads, and to get the job it was necessary to accept Polk Rose.

On the surface Rose was a kind and gentle man, but his head was full of thunderbolts for anyone who opposed him. The Tulls and a lot of others left Sand Creek and joined Windsor Christian. The families that stayed at Sand Creek sat silently and prayed that things would change. But it got worse, although it took about ten years for it to come to a head. Finally, a group tried to reorganize the old church as it had been before 1889, and finding the church locked, they had to meet in a nearby schoolhouse. My father died in l898 and we buried him next to my mother at Sand Creek, but not before there was a fight with the elders who tried to prevent the burial. Tulls, Turrentines, Lovins, and others, backed the elders up against the wall of the church and they relented.

By 1904 the remaining Christians at Sand Creek filed a lawsuit against Rose and his appointed elders. The case was heard in Circuit Court, and I sat there not believing my ears. The Church of Christ elders, led by Daniel Sommers, told the court that Sand Creek had always been a Church of Christ and it was the only true Christian Church and worshipped in the same way the church was conducted in Bible times. All testimony was so carefully controlled that any effort to tell about the church as it had been before 1889 was knocked down.

It isn't easy to tell just what Sand Creek was through the years because it was a mixture of so many congregations who worshipped together, but one thing I know for certain is that whether the Church of Christ is right or wrong in their beliefs, they were not the same beliefs and practices followed at Sand Creek from the beginning. I could not believe it when the judge ruled in favor of the Church of Christ being the rightful owner of the church.

The Christians filed an appeal with the Supreme Court of Illinois and the next year it upheld the opinion of the Circuit Court judge, and they ordered the deed to the Christian Church of Sand Creek and its Trustees, voided - and they ordered a new deed made to the elders of the Church of Christ.

The people who had built and paid for the brick church lost all right to it. Even the new congregation lost their rights when the Elders became the sole owners and the only authority.

Few, if any, of the old congregation ever set foot in Sand Creek again except to attend funerals. It split the church and the neighborhood and the scars have never healed. The church is limping along with about a dozen people attending and when they are gone the church will be abandoned. It cannot be otherwise because the dwindling congregation has no right at all, and when the elders are gone, not even the congregation has the right to appoint new ones.

Note: Great-uncle Tom was right. In 1956 the final service was held at Sand Creek.

Twelve were present, and my uncle, George 0. Anderson preached the last sermon.

I have a picture of those present for the service. The second Methodist Church, called Sulphur Springs, was lost by fire and not rebuilt. Another Methodist called Fletcher Chapel, five miles west of Sand Creek Christian, is also gone.

Its congregation had split during the Civil War, and part of it built a Christian Union nearby that was organized by elder Tobias Grider of Sand Creek Christian. It too is gone. Left in Windsor Twp., was only New Liberty, which organized as Christian but became a Church of Christ. Bethany Christian also dissolved; and recently New Liberty changed denominations and a sign in the yard announces that it is now with some kind of fundamentalist group out of Indiana.

The majority of the township attends churches in Windsor and Shelbyville.

Excerpts from conversations with Thomas E. Tull, taken before 1955:

†††††††††††† Signed: Gladys Forbes Richey

Gladys Forbes Richey (Mrs. A.A.) Seven Willows, R.R.6, Box 251 Olney, Illinois 62450


(Noted in hand writing follows)

Her new address 6-20-1990 is Gladys Richey 1627 S. 10th St Terre Haute, IN 47802

(This is now the address of her niece Pat Richey)

Note by Roy Juch : All of Gladys' research papers are in the care of her niece Pat Richey as of March 2000.

 Gladys Forbes Richey

Seven Willows, R.R.6, Box 251

Olney, Illinois 62450

Her new address 6-20-1990 is Gladys Richey 1627 S. 10th St Terre Haute, IN 47802

(This is now the address of her niece Pat Richey)


Retyped by Roy Juch

3007 Durban Drive

Houston, TX 77043-1304

March 6, 1997


Reformated by Dr. Leon Chapman

1533 Catron SE, Albuquerque, NM 87123

March 19, 2000


By Gladys Forbes Richey


Dean of Clonfort, County Galway, Ireland

Married Sheela, daughter of Thomas O'Kelly, and died 12/31/1637.

Their children were: MATTHEW; Mark; Luke, John & Conner.


Oldest son of Kyras and Sheela O'Kelly Tully, born in County Galway, Ireland. As a commissioned officer in the army of Charles I of Ireland, was listed as Matthew Tull. Evidently slain during massacre of these officers in 1649, as his confiscated estates were sold at Clicester House, Dublin, during 1650/51. Before 1653, the family had escaped to England.


Son of Matthew Tull, his will being recorded in 1656, as a yeoman of Midgham, Berkshire. Connected in Berkshire with a John Tull, Sr., evidently his uncle, who was the fourth son of Kyras Tull(y) who had escaped to England.


Born in Midgham, Berkshire, England, c l640. Died 1718/20 as will probated 1/28/1720 in Somerset County, MD. With a Richard Tull, either his brother or a cousin came to Virginia about 1664. Listed in Somerset County, Maryland as first settlers 1661-1666. Patented land in what was later Northampton County, Va.6/10/1664. Signed loyalty pledge to William & Mary on ll/28/1689 in Somerset Co. Was in Annamessicke section of Maryland in 1666. In Oct 1666, Thomas Tull of "Annamessicke and MARY MINSHALL (d/o Jeffrey Minshall b.1652, d. 1685) of Morumsco were married" by George Johnson. He served on the Grand Jury for Somerset County on 3/8/1697, so must have died after that date. Both he and Richard were staunch Church of England men - Coventry P.E. Parish, Somerset, Maryland, was church parish - deaths and marriages recorded there.

The children of Thomas Tull, Jr. and Mary Minshall were:

Thomas, 1668,

Richard 1670,

John 1674, and

Mary 1677.


b. c l650. The same things may be said of Richard as are said of Thomas, Jr. Richard patented land in what was later Northampton County, Va. on 6/12/1664. Signed the same loyalty pledge with Thomas, Jr. He died 1710/11 and married MARTHA RHODES (b. 3/6/1671) and they too lived on the North side of the Annemessex River. Martha Rhodes was born 3/6/1654 in Southampton, Hampshire, England the daughter of Dr. John Rhodes and his wife Elizabeth. Elizabeth, wife of Dr. Rhodes wrote her will 2/23/1693/94 and it probated in Sussex County, Delaware on 5/9/1694.

Children: Richard; Rachel; GEORGE; John; William; Benjamin; Elizabeth; Mary; Sarah and Richard, Jr.

5-3 GEORGE TULL (3rd Child of Richard & Martha Rhodes Tull) Born: 5/27/1677, in Somerset County, Maryland. Died by 1747. Will probated 4/14/1747, in Somerset Co., Md. Married: (1) to HANNAH NOBLE, by 1704. She died before 1732. Married: (2) to Elizabeth Dorman, daughter of Samuel Dorman & Catherine Stevens.

Children: He had 7 children by Hannah Noble: William; Noble; George; Sarah; Mary, Rachel & JONATHAN.

6-7 JONATHAN TULL (7th. child of George & Hannah Noble Tull) Born: c. 1719 in Somerset Co., Md. Died: 1786/87. Will signed 10/30/1786 & probated 3/22/1787. Married: (1) MARY FONTAINE d/o Nicholas Fontaine (c. 1692-1743) & Mary ________ ( - 1770/71); by 1747 in Somerset Co., Md. She died September 1771 - Maryland Inventoried 108 - 386. He had 6 children by Mary Fontaine. Jonathan Tull went to Stokes & Scurry Counties, N.C. He had at least 5 sons. Probably returned to Maryland where his death is recorded in Somerset Co. in 1787. A Jonathan Tull served in the Revolutionary War, according to records in Maryland.

Married: (2) JANE ________. She died by 1785.

Children by Mary:


James: planter; St., Worcester County Militia; born c. 1748, Somerset Co., Md. Died 1792/95. Will written 1/19/1792 & probated 10/1:6/1795, Worcester Co., Md. married 1769/73, Elizabeth Porter born 5/18/1757, died after 1815, probably Bracken Co., KY, d/o John Porter (c. 1726-1797/99) & Elizabeth Beard ( -1799/1800).

Nelly: Born c. 1751, Somerset Co., Md. Married by 1785, probably there, to ________Bevins).

Jonathan: born c. 1755, Somerset Co., Md. Died 1826 probably Stokes Co, N.C. Married 1776/82 to Sarah. She was born by 1766, Somerset Co., Md. Not married by 1786.

Children by Jane:

Sarah: Born 1846. Buried Sussex Co., Del. married to Kessiah (Kissie) Callaway, born 1773/74, Del., died 3/4/1867, buried Sussex Co., Del.


Nancy: Born 1779/80, Somerset Co., Md. Died by 1855, there. Lived in household of Benjamin Hudson, born c. 1800, Md., 1850.

7-2 NICHOLAS TULL (Son of Jonathan & Mary Fontaine Tull)

Born c1745, Somerset County, Maryland. Died after 1830, probably Stokes County, N.C., married (1) by 1767, probably Somerset Co., Md., to POLLY MITCHELL b. probably Somerset Co., Md., d/o Isaac Mitchell. Married (2) MARY ELIZABETH DULL, b. probably Stokes Co., N.C.

Children by Polly Mitchell:

1)†††††††† Daniel Tull (b. 3/24/1767, Somerset Co., Md., d. 1/21/1851, will written 1840 & probated 2/3/1851, Shelby Co., Illinois. buried there, m. 1)_________, m. 2) by 1804, probably Stokes Co., N.C., Sarah Baugh, b.1775/94, d. Jan. 1835, Shelby Co., Ill., buried there, d/o Josiah Hatcher Baugh & Milly Shepherd);

2)†††††††† Frederick Tull (Jailer, b. c1769, d. 1815 Hardin Co., Ky., m. 1 Jan 1801, Hardin Co., Ky., Mehetible Farmer);

3)†††††††† NICHOLAS TULL, JR. (b. 1771, N.C., d. after 1850, probably Henderson Co., Tenn., m. Susan (Sukey) Baugh, d/o Josiah Hatcher Baugh & Milly Shepherd, b.1780/90, N.C.

4)†††††††† William Tull (in Stokes Co., N.C. in 1790 in Surry Co., N.C. in 1800, b. 1772/74, probably N.C., m._______ b. by 1774); 5) Son Tull, (b.1775/90, probably N.C.

NOTES: Nicholas Tull - - called John Nicholas in court records of Stokes Co., N.C. - - went from Maryland to Bertie Co., N.C. briefly, then to Lehigh Co., Pa., at Germansville. Served in Rev. (war) at adj Northampton Co., Pa. Many Tulls in that area. After the war he went to Stokes Co., N.C. A relative of mine gave me some records years ago in which this man erroneously called John N. and Johnathan. It was most confusing until I received the coffin Accounts Book, accounts of Elias Daniel Tull, funeral director, copied from his grandfather, Daniel Tull's (b.1757) old bible: Begins with Jonathan & Mary Fontain Tull of Somerset Co., Md. Children: NICHOLAS, William, Sarah, Nancy & a Samuel (not named in above records) - - a line drawn across and then named Nelly, Mary, Jonathan & James. Then continues records of (John) Nicholas Tull & wife Polly Mitchell & their children, including Daniel b.1767, NICHOLAS, 1770, Jonathan, George, & Abraham, etc. This was followed by all of Daniel Tull's children, including a daughter named Nancy Fontain Tull. (Notes are from Mrs. Gladys Forbes Richey).

It would seem, therefore, that the name "NICHOLAS" entered this line of the Tull family because the father-in- law of Jonathan Tull (1718/21--1786/87) was Nicholas Fontaine (c1692-1743). A further reason for believing that this line includes the Fontaine family in its ancestry is the fact that Daniel Tull (1767-1851) named his first child Nancy Fontaine Tull (1804/10-after 1852).

8-3 NICHOLAS TULL, JR. (son of Nicholas & Polly Mitchell Tull) Born: 1771, N.C. Died: after 1850, probably Henderson Co., Tenn. Married: SUSAN BAUGH (aka SUKEY BAUGH), born 1780/90, N.C., d/o Josiah Hatcher Baugh & Milly Shepherd.


1) Nicholas Tull, III; born c. 1791, probably Dobbs, Johnston or Craven Co., N.C., died 1850/60) probably Henderson Co., Tenn. married Susanna_______, born c. 1801, N.C., died 1850/60, probably Henderson Co., Tenn.

2) John Thomas Tull; born 8/21/1806, Tenn. or N.C., died 2/24/1874. M. 1/27/1842, Jane Alice Fielas Busick, born 3/13/1815, N.C., d/o Thomas Busick (c-1782/__).

3) Abraham Tull; (farmer) born 1808/09, Tenn., died c. 1879 Bell County, Texas. Married: 1) Nancy A. Jones in 1833, born c. 1818, Tenn., dies 1850, probably Saline Co., Ark. 2) Eliza Bennett, born c. 1832, Ga.

4) Jonathan Tull; born 1811/15, Tenn., died 1830

5) Polly Tull; born 1811/15, Tenn.

6) George Tull; born c. 1815, Tenn., died by 1880; Married to Anna ____, born 1816, Tenn.

7) ARCHIBALD TULL; born 1816/17, probably Henderson Co., Tenn. Died after 1886, probably Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Married 1) 2/15/1841, Benton, Saline Co., Ark. to AMY JONES, b. 1816, Tenn., died 1850/59 Saline Co., Ark., Married 2) 1850/53 to SARAH WILLIAMS, died by 1859, probably Saiine Co., Ark., d/o Benjamin Williams (1776-after 1842) & Sarah Battle (1765/70-1835). Married 3) 7/12/1859, Benton, Saline Co., Ark. to ANN RUMBELOW, born c1837, Tenn., died 1869/71, Saline, Ark., married 4) 8/13/1871, Benton, Grant Co., Ark. to LYDIA AVIS (a widow) born c. 1840, Ga., died after 1886, probably Grant Co., Ark.,

Note: Nicholas Tull, Jr. appears in Dobbs Co. N.C. in the 1790 census.

Note: Nicholas Tull, Jr. appears on the early Tenn. tax rolls 7/28/80) for Davidson County (Nashville) for the years 1805 & 1811. He enlisted in the Tenn. Volunteers in the fall of 1813 & was mustered into Capt. Frederick Strumps Company of Mounted Gunman at Clover Bottoms, near Nashville. He served as a private, earning $8.00 per month & 40 cents per day for his horse, until he was discharged because of sickness after the Battle of Talladega, Ala., in the Creek Indian Wars. He applied in April 1852 for his 40-acre land bounty, listing his age as 79 & his post office as Jacks Creek Henderson County (now Chester Co.) Tenn. He applied for his additional bounty in July 1855 listing his age as approximately 83. A descendant of John Thomas Tull lives in the area on approximately the same land. Early Tenn. land grant also list a grant of 25 A. to Nicholas Tull, in Madison Co., dated 1-12-1848

9-7 ARCHIBALD TULL (7th. child of Nicholas Tull, Jr. & Sarah Baugh)

Born: 1816/17, probably Henderson Co., Tenn. or N.C.

Died: at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. after 1886.


1) AMY JONES on 2/15/1841, Benton, Saline Co., Ark. She was born 1816/17 in Tenn. She died 1850/59, Saline Co., Ark.

2) SARAH WILLIAMS. Died by 1859, probably in Saline Co., Ark. She was d/o Benjamin Williams (1776-after1842) & Sarah Battle (1765-1835_).3) ANN BRUMBELOW on 7/12/1859, Benton, Saline Co., Ark. She was born c. 1837 in Tenn. She died 1869/71, probably in Saline Co., Ark.4) LYDIA DAVIS (a widow) on 8/13/1871 at Benton, Ark. She was born c. 1840 in Georgia. She died after 1886, probably Grant Co., Ark. Both helped organize Antioch Church of Christ at Tull, near Benton, Ark. 1886.


By Amy:

Susan, Margaret E., Mary A., Nicholas A., Louise, Martin, Nancy & Sophronia Perlina.

By Sarah:

JOHN M. TULL, Milly & James M.

By Ann:

Henry & Lorenzo Dow, & William Marshall.

By Lydia:

Adeline & Eliza.

10-9 JOHN MILTON TULL (9th. child of Archibald Tull & 1st child of Sarah Williams). Clergyman & farmer. Born 10/18/1852 in Arkansas. Died 12/19/1927 & is buried in a marked gravesite in the Ebenezer Methodist Church Cemetery in Tull, Ark. He was the first Postmaster & the town is named for him. Married: 1) 9/8/1872 at Benton, Saline Co., Ark. to ELIZA JANE ANDREWS, born c. 1855, in Ark. & died c. 1897 at Tull, Ark. Eliza Jane Tull (& other Tulls) are buried in unmarked graves with only rocks as place marks, on the side of a pine hill on the original Tull homestead in Tull, Ark. Both John Milton Tull & his wife Eliza Jane were charter members of Antioch Church of Christ, at Tull, near Benton, Ark., founded in 1886; the church became a Christian (Disciples of Christ) Church in 1896. Also charter members were W. C. Andrews & his wife. 2) MOLLIE PAINE, born 8/3/1871, died 12/8/1946.

1880 Census Grant Co., Ark., Franklin Township (From the DAR Library, Washington, D.C.)

Born Father Mother

Tull, John M. 27 Farmer. Arkansas or Tenn.

Eliza J. 25 Arkansas or Tenn.

George M. 7 Arkansas

William O. 5 Arkansas

Laura L. 3 Arkansas

Louise A. 1 Arkansas

11-1 George M. Tull

Born C. 1873 in Ark, at Tull in Grant Co. Died c.1894, drowned when about 20 years old.

11-2 William Oliver Tull

Born C.1875 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Died C. 1894 of Typhoid Fever, when about 18-19 years old.

11-3 Ida Laura Tull

Born 1/19/1877 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Married: Joe Sanders; 10/15/1893 Died 8/11/1956 & is buried at Traskwood, Ark.

11-4 Louisa Alice Tull

Born C. 1879 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Died c. 1881, when about 2 years old.

11-5 Sally Tull

Born C. 1881 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Died C. 1901, when about 20 years old.

NOTE: Both J.E Tull and Bertie Tull Ashcraft remembered that she was like a mother to them after their own mother died. According to them she did not marry and died when J.E. was about 15 years old. We think. (M. Tull)

11-6 Cora Ella Tull

Born 12/18/1882 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark.

Married 10/28/1898 to OSCAR ASHCRAFT. Died May 2, 1979 & is buried at Forest Hills Memorial Park in Little Rock, Ark.

11-7 Hattie E. Tull

Born 11/6/1884 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Died 1/7/19O4 when about 20 years old & is buried at Tull. Married to R. W. (Bob) Smith.

11-8 John Earle Tull

Born 11/17/1886 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Died 10/8/1974 & is buried at Lonoke, Ark. Married on l0/16/1912 to Nettie Frohlich (b.10/26/1885-d.9/18/1975)


Regina Lanette Tull (b.5/17/1915-d.10/l/1959) married 6/11/1939 to Kenneth McCollum)

John Earle Tull, Jr. (b.3/15/1925 - ) married 9/7/1952 to Mary Elizabeth Ybarrondo)

11-9 Archibald Curtis Tull

(Named for his grandfather) Clergyman, teacher & farmer. Born 1/6/1889 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Died 9/15/1975 at Stuttgart, Arkansas Co., Ark. and is buried at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Married 1/28/1922 at Benton, Saline Co., Ark. to Elsie May Goodwin (b.3/25/1892-d.6/16/1960) & buried in Grant Co., Ark. d/o Sanford A. Goodwin & Cornelia A. Whitmore. He was pastor of the Antioch Christian Church at Tull, Ark.)

11-10 Ada Tull

Born 2/l/1891 at Tull., Grant Co., Ark. Died 4/23/1944. Married Mordecai I. Burrow. Her son Lloyd Burrow, is Mayor of Tull, Ark. in 1978.

11-11 Bertie Susan Tull

Born 1/8/1893 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Married W. Harrison Ashcraft. Presently living in Tull, Arkansas.

11-12 Coy W. Tull

Born 6/5/1895 at Tull, Grant Co., Ark. Died 1/17/1965 & is buried there. Married Willi Ruth Crowson (b.9/27/1898- May 1979)

Summary of Tull Linage

By Gladys Forbes Richey

Richard (1) Tull b. ca. 1645; from Berkshire, Eng. to Somerset. Co, by 1666 - probably brother of ††††† Thomas (1) Tull of Somerset, Richard

††††††††††† m.1 Katherine Rhoades, daughter of Dr. John who was killed by Indians in Sussex Co., Del. But had lived in Somerset.

George (2) Tull 1677-1747

††††††††††† m.1 Hannah Noble sister of Jonathan Noble.

Made a deed in 1732 to "my son Jonathan" where my son William formerly lived and my son Noble now lives if Jonathan is obedient and does not dare to marry without my consent. In his will in 1747 he disinherited Jonathan and Noble but did not name son William who was already dead and who had married twice without consent.

William (3) Tull b. ca. 1700; d. 174O in the Baltic. m.1 Elizabeth Fontaine, sister of Nich. Fontaine. To Philadelphia in shipping business.

††††††††††† m. 24 Apr. 1732 Margaret Rickerts in Chirists Church, Philadelphia.

††††††††††† 1.Jonathan Nicholas

††††††††††† 2.William

††††††††††† Children by Margaret unknown, but may have included a Margaret who was wife of the real Johann Nicholas Doll b. 1725 Irtzweiler

Jonathan Nicholas (4) Tull b. ca. 1720/5 probably Md

m. Elizabeth Dull from West Prussia who was probably the 10th child of Christoffel Doll of Irtzweiler, and if so she was a sister of the real T.N. Doll who married Margaret_________.

To N.C. by about 1765 and in Wachovia by 25 Aug. 1766.

1.Jonathan Nicholas


3.John F.

Jonathan Nicholas (5) Tull b. 1745 Pa. To N.C. with parents ,

m. Mary Margaret Forrest sister of Shadrack and William Forrest of Orange Co., N.C. d. 1826 Stokes Co., N.C.

Was a trader called John.N., Nicholas, Jonathan, and One-eyed Jack.

1.Abraham (twins) b.24 Apr. 1768 by family record but 24 Apr.1772 by Moravian record.

2.Daniel (twins)

3.John Nicholas b. Oct. 1775

4. George

5. Jonathan ††††† b. 1780

Sisters not named in family record.



John Nicholas (6) Tull b. 1775

m. 1 Suzy Baugh, daughter of Jere Baugh by family record. She was aged 40-50 in the 1830 census, Henderson Co., Tenn.

m.2___________age 30-40 in the 1840 census, Henderson Co., Tenn.

1.Nicholas b. 1792 N.C.

2.John Thomas b.1792 N.C.

3.Abraham b. 1808/10 Tenn.

4.Archibald b. 1816/17 Tenn.

There were other children but their names are unknown.


Entire document is richey.020

Daniel Forrest (6) Tull - brother of John Nicholas.

Married Sarah Baugh, daughter of Josiah Hatcher Baugh, on 6 Jan. 1805 Marriage not of record in Stokes, but she was named in the will of her father in 1822, Jackson Co., Ga. He was b. 1750 Va. and m.1 to Milly Shepperd who d. 1796, and he remarried in 1797 in Orange to Sarah Daniels; had a B.L.G. in Orange; moved to Stokes; moved to Jackson Co., Ga. in 1815. Was probably a brother of Jere Baugh who was also in N.C. Rev. Accts., but without a location, but was in jury lists after 1789 in Stokes. Daniel Tull moved from Stokes to Duck River, Bedford Co., Tenn. with several Forrests, Lovins, and others from Orange Co., N.C. in 1829 he came to Shelby Co., Ill.

His children are all in the funeral account ledger records of which I gave a copy to John E. Tull of Lonoke, Ark.. I have added county records, census records, church records, deeds and marriages to my information about Daniel Tull and his children. His tombstone is broken and deteriorated, but still legible in what is now called Bruce graveyard in Sec. 22 Windsor Twp., Shelby Co., Ill; also stone for his wife Sarah who died in 1841. Bruce graveyard, in 1829 was location of the Sand Creek Methodist Church.

Signed: Gladys Richey

Jan. 17, 1988

Children of Daniel F.(6) Tull and wife Sarah Baugh:

1. Mary Elizabeth†††††††† b.12 Nov 1805, NC†††† m. Benjamin W. Bruce

2. Josiah Baugh††††††††††† b.15 Apr 1807, NC†††† m. Margaret Butler

3. Nancy Forrest††††††††† b.19 Mar 1809, TN†††† m. Jeremiah Dunn (a cousin)

†††† 4. Milly Shepperd†††††††† b.11 Jul 1811, TN††††††† m. Lewis Dunn (a cousin)

5. Jincy Rhoda††††††††††††† b.24 May 1813, TN†††† m. John L. Clawson

6. Sally Catherine†††††††† b.14 Mar 1815, TN†††† m. Wm. Davis

7. Nathan Forrest†††††††† b.19 Mar 1817, TN†††† m. Rutha Barbara Walker

8. William Forrest†††††††† b.1 Jan 1819, TN†††††††† m. Hannah Davis

9. Jonathan Daniel††††††† b.14 Jun 1821, TN†††††† m. Anna Cain

Hand note by Gladys that #7 above is her line.